Today schools and education centers are increasingly committed to autonomy in learning and student personalization. However, many of these mainly focus on innovation through learning methodologies and tools, but Â¿what about the spaces? Â¿Is it important to create educational classrooms that contribute and facilitates the challenge of learning and self-knowledge?
In Thinkers Co. we believe that the answer is yes, the environment is a determinant in the learning process, so the design of a playful space has a fundamental role in the motivation and potentization of student creativity.
The design of these spaces is not about major architectural investments, in fact, the student must be placed as the main axis before preparing a restructuring plan. Therefore, Design Thinking is the key to understanding the subject, for developing spaces that work as solutions according to the methodologies of each school.
Here we share some of the important aspects to consider for the creation and design of the classrooms, generating a diverse, flexible and comfortable environment for the student’s benefit.
- Creation of wider spaces:
To optimize concentration, personal work and relationships in the classroom it is important to create visibility and openness in the space, it is about generating larger environments, for the same number of people.
- Space recognition: The organization and autonomy of the student can be reinforced through the personalization of each classroom, the numbers and letters to signal are over. By providing proper names to each place, greater interest and inspiration is created, you can use cities, animals, artists, or any name that allows the student’s involvement with the classroom.
- The classroom is not the only space: The corridors, sports spaces, courtyards, and gardens are also potential to be in contact with nature. Working with your hands, on the ground, and with natural materials stimulates recognition and safety through space.
- Goodbye rows: Not all classrooms need to be accommodated in rows with the same desks as always, design new furniture that allows different combinations to offer alternative areas that invite communication, sharing, concentration, and creation.
- Labs: Creating places that generate experiential learning helps inspiration, teamwork, and autonomy. That is why coworking spaces are essential to motivate students in the use of materials, tools and even exhibitions of their projects.
In this way, we can observe that changes in educational environments are very important for learning development, achieving not only the potentization of creativity but also the stimulation of interpersonal relationships and emotional intelligence.
The spaces that surround us and help us in our daily tasks are linked to the tools and methodologies that drive learning towards innovation. Boosting creativity in the classroom should not be a complex process, it is about building with students and changing according to their needs to guide them in their professional practice and the construction of their personality.
Today we have required a generous educational response that fosters new learning. The challenge is huge.
Siro LÃ³pez, explains more forms of configuration in the learning space, which responds to the stimulation of creativity in his book Esencia for design of educational spaces, because from Thinkers Co. we know that there is not only one single way to reach great ideas, and it is necessary to intervene in new educational spaces that respond to the needs of learning and creativity.
Published at 27/08/2019